The Advising Center is an academic resource center for Mississippi University for Women faculty members, staff, and students. The Advising Center also is a resource for newly admitted and other prospective students. The Center is governed by Academic Affairs and is charged with providing advising services. The Advising Center staff is knowledgeable regarding general academic policies and procedures and university core curriculum requirements.
The Advising Center has a special emphasis on providing services to undeclared students. The staff can assist exploratory students in interpreting institutional requirements, in guiding their selection of appropriate courses, in selecting an appropriate program of study, and in developing meaningful educational plans.
While emphasizing the importance of the faculty-student advising relationship, the Advising Center staff also is aware that special circumstances may arise that prevent students from meeting with their assigned advisor. Under these circumstances, the Advising Center staff is available to assist students in a declared major to pre-register for courses and to make changes in registration. A student in a declared major should consult with his or her assigned advisor to review the recommendations made by Advising Center staff.
The Advising Center also has a central role in supporting student persistence. Student persistence is encouraged through assertive advising strategies. The Advising Center staff coordinates with other offices on campus to contact students experiencing academic difficulties and to make appropriate referrals.
Reasons to visit the Advising Center:
- If you are unsure about what courses to take and need help planning your schedule.
- If you have questions regarding general academic policies and procedures.
- If you need information about requirements for MUW's core curriculum.
- If you are a transient student who just needs to register for a single class.
- If you are a part-time student who just needs to register for night or weekend classes.
- If you are a transfer student who needs advice on how courses will transfer to MUW.
- If you want to change your major and aren't sure about your options.